Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Grammar by Fire in California

Rachael and I spent the weekend in San Diego with our friends Dave and Jaime. We went to the National Youth Workers Convention...which was awesome.
We stayed at the Royal Crowne Plaza and were greeted by the sign that you see here. Maybe it is the high amount of writing that I have had to complete lately or maybe the grammar was simply that bad but I found this sign to be quite humorous.
I'll explain.


In journalism you learn that if you are going to capitalize words in a title, or a sign in this case, you capitalize words longer than three letters. My question was why are the words "in" and "on" capitalized? This sign also spawned a hilarious conversation about giving an invitation at church by asking "Do you know with a capital "K" that Jesus is your Savior?"
We started to drive back yesterday and were affected by the wildfires that are currently burning out of control in southern California. It took us a couple extra hours to get out of California because of those being evacuated and high winds. At one point, as we were heading north on I-15, we were literally twenty feet away from the flames as the south side of the freeway was on fire. It was pretty crazy. Keep praying for those people as CNN is reporting that 500,000 people have been evacuated this far.


Until next time...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I realize that this comment Has nothing To Do with The california fires; So I've capitalized All words under three characters To make Up For It. I came across your blog By googling The word wangsgards. :) I noticed that You Are youth pastor(s) In SLC, And would like To invite You both To A Big daddy weave concert At Our church On Dec. 1st. The details/tickets Are available here: http://lcaconcerts.com/

I'm At timothy (At) huminc (Dot) Com If you'd like To meet Up For It.