Thursday, August 07, 2008

Titles change but the mission stays the same...


If you have been to our church in the past year you would have noticed that I have been leading worship every Sunday. This came about during a huge transition time in our congregation in which our senior pastor (Rodger) retired and our associate pastor (Gregg) in charge of worship was called to another church.

While Gregg was here, anytime he took vacation I would fill in for him. When he left that role switched from filling in to a full time gig. I have been leading worship for a year now and am loving it while at the same time am terrified that I am insufficiently qualified for such a position. All the while God kept confirming that I was in the right place...right where He wanted me.

To make a long story short, when our new pastor Kevin arrived he asked me where my ministry passions were. My answer to him was "If you took youth away I would be sad, if you took worship away, it would kill me."

I have since take a step of faith into a completely new area of ministry. That means that I am transitioning out of full time youth ministry and will be working for the Kingdom in the area of worship. I will still be able to see my students and encourage them in their walk with Christ but the relationship changes a bit. It truly was one of the most difficult things I have ever had to do when I told my students that I was no longer going to be their youth pastor.

So here I am. In the middle of yet another transition on this crazy ride called life. All I know is that I want to be where God is moving me. I may not know what is in store for me in this area of ministry but I know who is leading me and that makes all the difference.

They never told me it would be easy...only that it would be worth it.

Sean

2 comments:

mb said...

at a boy, sean! i can totally understand the choice you made, and i know God will continue to bless you in worship.

have you started to write your own songs yet? i know you got it in you...

The Tripps said...

update: Sean is doing an amazing job as God's musical little worker bee/vessel.